This breadstick recipe is my family’s favorite! These are Soft yet slightly chewy bread and remind me of a garlicy pretzel. Delicious!
Original Recipe Yield 12 lovely breadsticks
- 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) yeast
- 2 cups very warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 tps garlic powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbs grated Parmesan
- 1 tbs dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Add the warm water to a large, glass bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top, then the sugar. Stir slightly and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Stir the flour into the mixture one half-cup at a time, adding just enough to make the mixture soft, pliable and not too sticky, but not so floured that it becomes a heavy hunk. Knead it until the dough becomes elastic.
- Pull a round of dough into your hands (about the size of a small apple). Roll it into a long breadsticks. Place on a baking sheet that has been covered with parchment paper(very important to use parchment). Once all of the dough is formed into sticks, you can bake it right away, or allow your breadsticks to rise for 15-30 additional minutes (I allow my dough to rest for about 15 minutes. Produces a softer breadstick).
- Place breadsticks in the preheated oven, allow them to cook for 5 minutes, then turn the heat up to 400 degrees and bake them until golden brown, about 7-10 minutes more.
- As soon as you remove your breadsticks from the oven, mix together the melted butter, garlic powder, sea salt, and grated parmesan. Brush over hot breadsticks with a pastry brush or drizzle.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: Cheeky Kitchen