Made a batch of tortillas night for the kids and had so much fun I couldn’t help but re-blog the recipe! 🙂 It’s a great cooking project for the little ones! I had my 4 year-old sister in the kitchen helping me. She had a blast rolling out her own tortilla! Home-made tortillas made healthy by substituting the crisco/lard for olive oil and adding whole-wheat!
Original Recipe Yield 8-12 Tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1 cups wheat flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Combine flours, baking powder, and salt. Add water and oil. Stir until combined.
- Kneed on a lightly floured surface for approximately 1 minute adding additional flour if needed.
- Place a stainless steel pain on stove-top over medium heat. Meanwhile, form into gulf ball size pieces and roll each ball into a large flat disc.
- Place each tortilla on to the hot pan, 1 at a time, for approximately 15 seconds per side or until bubble and golden. Repeat with remaining tortillas.