This is the week of my sister’s birthday and I am excited!! 🙂 So, we decided to give her a full week of celebration! Today I made Micah Salted Caramel Mocha Cupcakes!!
Chocolate pound cake, beneath a layer of coffee, caramel, ganache, and salted caramel frosting. Top it off with a caramel drizzle and you have a cupcake that is likely to knock you out! Yes, I know. VERY RICH! Don’t try to eat the whole cupcake in one setting without an entire pot of coffee. 😉 And don’t let the layers intimidate you. The preparation really isn’t time-consuming at all!
I used 8oz disposable coffee cups(un-waxed, paper cups. Not plastic!) but you can use coffee mugs or muffin cups! 🙂
Original Recipe makes 13 rather large cupcakes!
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 8oz coffee cups. Mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the dissolved coffee and buttermilk. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
After cakes have cooled, add latte layer. Latte Layer:
- 1 pkg cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 cups powder sugar
- Beat all ingredients on high until light and fluffy!
- Spread evenly over each cupcake.
Next spread 3/4 cup caramel evenly over all 13 cupcakes.
- 8oz Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place chocolate chips and vanilla in a heat proof bowl
- Bring butter and heavy cream to a boil. Then pour over chocolate chips and allow to set for about 4 minutes.
- Whist until smooth and pour evenly over cupcakes!
Now it’s time for the icing!
- 1/2 cup caramel
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 1 pkg softened cream cheese
- 4-5 cups powder sugar
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Pour in the salt & caramel. Beat until combined.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, and beat for a few minutes until really light and fluffy. Pipe over Ganache!
Last thing to do is drizzle with caramel, find 13 hungry friends, and enjoy!! 🙂