The last 2 days have been COLD. Even colder seeing our heater is down for repair. We weren’t expecting such extremely chilly weather but after the scorching summer, we are loving it! So what goes with super cold weather better than a cup of Hot Chocolate and a few layers of sweaters?? 🙂
Hot Chocolate is a necessity for the winter months and I had been looking for the perfect Hot Chocolate recipe for years. Finally found it! In the words of my sister, Grace, “this hot chocolate is like drinking a brownie!” I found the original recipe on Cooking for Seven a year and a half or so ago and with only a few minor changes, we have been drinking it ever since!
Sweetened with Pure Maple Syrup and topped off with a maple whipped cream, yes, this recipe is RICH…. So rich, you may have a hard time drinking an entire serving! But y’all are sure to love it. 🙂
Original Recipe 5-6 cups of cocoa!
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk(I usually add up to 1c more depending on thickness)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces chopped unsweetened chocolate
- 6 tbs pure maple syrup(might need more if you prefer your cocoa a little sweeter!)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and cream to a low simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally.
- Add the chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Whisk vigorously until all of the chocolate has melted. Cook for an additional 4 minutes, whisking constantly.
Maple Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 tbs maple syrup (more if you like your whipped cream very sweet)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and beat until stiff.
- Add a dollop or two or four 😉 on your cup of cocoa and enjoy!