Is it just me or does anyone else think cooking needs to be considered an Olympic sport! Feels like I have run a marathon after making dinner. 🙂 Tonight’s dinner consisted of Rosemary Pesto Feta Burgers, 5 Cheese Mac n’ Cheese, Oven roasted French Fries, and vegetable. And this is the first time I have grilled without setting the meat I am grilling completely on fire and grilling myself!! I usually have my Dad man the grill but he was out tonight. To be 100% honest I completely wimped out on the home-made condiments. I had everything laid out to make ketchup and mayo but fizzled!
But I did get around to making home-made buns! The quick version. 🙂 Not too fancy and nothing special about them but they are 1000% better than the pre-packaged store bought buns and QUICK!
Original Recipe Yield 8 buns
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups(or more) flour(I use a 50/50 ratio of white and wheat)
- 1 egg beaten
- Activate yeast in water and sugar. Once activated, add salt and oil. Mix in just enough flour to make a sticky yet workable dough.
- Pour dough out on to well floured surface and knead for 3 minutes, adding additional flour as needed!
- Place in lightly oiled bowl and allow to rise for 20 minutes.
- Roll out on to floured surface, punch down, and cut into 8 pieces. Form into balls, flatten each ball down, and place on to parchment lined cookie sheet. Allow to rise for 15 minutes.
- Brush with beaten egg. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden!
- Allow to cool, slice in half, and ENJOY! 🙂