Original Recipe Yields 1 large Loaf
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs yeast
- 5-7 cups flour- I use a 50/50 ratio of whole wheat and white
- Combine water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl. Allow yeast to activate.
- Once yeast is activated, stir in honey, eggs, olive oil, and salt. Add just enough flour to make a firm yet slightly sticky dough.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured service and knead, adding additional flour as needed, for 5-8 minutes or until dough is soft and bounces back when pressed. placed into a lightly oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled in size- approximately 1 hour.
- Once risen, punch down and place on to a lightly floured surface. Divide into 3 portions. Shape into 16 inch long tube shapes and braid. Place braid on a lightly buttered cookie sheet, cover with kitchen cloth and allow to rise once again until double- approx 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat 1 egg and brush over braided loaf. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden!
- Allow to cool slightly before serving and Enjoy!